Are you ready for a change on your dingy interior walls? Painting in various creative ways provides more options than choosing from limited wallpaper designs.
Textured wall paint as a finishing material
Textured or texture paint for walls can be attributed to one of the varieties of decorative finishes, thanks to which you can create beautiful relief patterns on the treated surfaces. This became possible due to the special composition and density of the material. The coloring composition may have a sour cream-like consistency, or may be a thick viscous mass made using acrylic components.
To some extent, textured paint can replace a paintwork and finish plaster. In this case, there is no need to carefully level and plaster the surface. It is enough to putty the walls for painting in areas where there are large cracks and deep holes, and then apply the coating in the form of acrylic impregnation.
Note! Painting, giving the surfaces a textured effect, can be used not only as a decorative finish. This material perfectly conceals small defects on the walls that ordinary paint or wallpaper cannot mask.
Varieties of decorative paints for walls in an apartment
Structural dyes are available in two options:
- Liquid – formulations are completely ready for use. They already have the necessary shade, so there is no need to use a color scheme.
- Dry – the second name of these compounds sounds like decorative plaster. This type of dye is diluted with water, where dye is added to give the desired color.
Acrylic latex used in the manufacturing process of textured paints undergoes polymerization during evaporation and absorption of water. Due to this, the drying time of the dye is only 1-2 hours. As a result of using the material in its pure form, a finishing layer with a thickness of 0.2-2 mm is formed on the surface. If you add additional components to the dye, such as sawdust, sand and other materials, you can increase the layer thickness to 0.7-1 cm.
When using additional components, the composition can be used as a plaster to even out small damage on the walls (up to 2 mm deep). Due to the fact that the aqueous solution of acrylic penetrates deep into the surface to be treated, which can be made of concrete, brick and coated with plaster, the adhesive properties of this paint can be compared with the capabilities of most cement mortars.
After the polymerization process is fully completed, the surface of the acrylic material acquires waterproof properties. For this reason, many textured dyes are suitable not only for internal but also for external decoration.
Note! Textured decorative paint for interior wall decoration can be safely used to design a bathroom or kitchen, where the level of humidity is increased. After the composition has dried, the surfaces will be reliably protected from mold and moisture.
Types of fillers in the composition of structural paint for walls
The density and bumping is ensured by the particles that are included in the dye. Textured finishing materials are also classified by type of fillers, which may include:
- crushed gas silicate;
- marble or granite chips;
- metal particles having a reflective surface;
- quartz sand;
- fibers of natural or synthetic origin;
Also, the composition may contain modified starch as a thickener and special pigments, due to which it is possible to obtain paint for walls with the effect of silk or pearl coating. Most often, such particles are in the form of droplets or flakes.
The relief of the dye and the depth of its structure depends on the size of the filler particles:
- Fine-grained dyes – are created on the basis of filler particles with a diameter not exceeding 0.5 mm.
- Medium-grained formulations – include particles with a size of 0.5-1 mm.
- Coarse-grained dyes – the composition contains fractions with a diameter of 1-2 mm.
Before you buy graphite wall paint or another type of dye, you should familiarize yourself with the manufacturer’s recommendations regarding the application. As the basis for applying the dye, plaster, wood, brickwork or stone masonry, concrete surface can be used.
Disadvantages of interior paints for walls and ceilings
The main distinguishing feature of textured dyes from compositions that form a smooth surface is decorative. Structural paints can produce amazing effects. On sale there are options that mimic various types of natural surfaces and materials:
- a rock.
Note! Material consumption is about 1 kg / m². Before making a purchase, it is worth calculating the budget in advance, since the total cost of decoration can be very high, because the price of decorative paint for walls, especially with unusual effects, is much higher than that of wallpaper or standard dyes.
Despite the fact that the painting can be carried out on top of the putty, wood panels, chipboard, glass, plywood, metal and gypsum plasterboard (gypsum plasterboard), the foundation still requires preparation. A high-quality result is possible only if the surface of the base is smooth and clean. In addition, certain skills may be required to create a creative design. On this, the design flaws end.
The advantages of interior paints for walls and ceilings
Advantages of decorative paint finishes:
- long service life – the average figure is 10 years, while high-quality wallpapers can last about 5 years;
- the ability to update the coating by applying a new coat of paint without the need for preliminary removal;
- environmental friendliness and safety;
- resistance to mechanical stress and sunlight. The surface does not provoke the development of mold;
- the ability to create a monolithic coating;
- simple cleaning system due to washable surface. At the same time, the paint repels pollution well. This advantage is especially relevant for angles and zones around switches;
- the choice of design solutions, shades and textures will not make the buyer think about how to get an unusual effect. Even the most sophisticated will find suitable options for their home;
- the material gives complete freedom in relation to experiments. You can choose different shades or reliefs. Application of textured paint is carried out in layers using special rollers or spatulas. The choice of instrument depends on what effect you need to get;
- the versatility of the paint allows you to use it to decorate the walls of the living room, kitchen, children, bathrooms
- rich appearance;
- unique textured pattern;
- the decorative coating has antistatic properties, due to which dust repels from the surface;
- good vapor permeability of the coating, not creating obstacles to the movement of air masses in the room.
How to paint walls in an apartment with textured paint: photos of interesting design options
As a result of painting walls with textured paint, it becomes possible to create an exquisite and unique interior. Each coloring composition has its own granularity. The deeper and more expressive the texture should be, the greater the granularity of the filler should be selected. This indicator is indicated by the manufacturer on the package.
Helpful advice! Before you start applying the paint directly, it is better to practice on a small section of the wall or piece of plywood. If a wall is used as the basis for the sample, the layer of the paint composition applied during training must be removed after finishing using a steel spatula. Then the surface of the wall should be dried and coated with a primer.
What paint to paint on the walls: choosing the best dye
The most important criterion for choosing a textured coating for walls is the basis of the dye. Given this parameter, several varieties of finishing materials are distinguished for creating textures.
Silicone paint is the most common type of dye intended for exterior and interior use. The material allows you to create a vapor-tight coating that is resistant to the effects of negative environmental factors (aggressive effects from the outside, moisture, temperature changes).
Mineral dye is the cheapest finish in the form of a dry powder. The composition of the material is lime and cement. Most often, the dye is used to decorate the exterior walls of the building.
Silicate composition – is considered the most expensive option, while it is practical to use. The coating is completely not afraid of external influences, is easy to care for, and perfectly repels dust particles and dirt. The material must be used with a primer having a similar base.
Acrylic paint – supplied ready-made, so it is very convenient to use. You can add the necessary fillers to create a certain effect, as well as tinting for color adjustment.
Standard textures of decorative paint for walls
There are several basic textures that can be obtained using texture paint.
Relief texture – the formation of such a coating is carried out due to special fillers in the dye. The application technology is very simple, so even a person who does not have experience can cope with the work.
Mizuri – to create this kind of coating will require a lot of effort. This requires textured paint made on an acrylic basis with the addition of modified starch. Using this composition, you can create not only texture, but also a flat surface.
Marseille wax – the finish is exquisite and stylish, however, to create it will require professional knowledge and skills. Using the material, you can make a realistic simulation of cork, wood bark or aged stone. To get a deep saturated color, the finish is covered with a special decorative wax. The material is suitable for both internal and external walls. It can be used in bathrooms and living rooms, as well as in office premises, restaurants, swimming pools.
Atacama is a special way of applying a coloring composition. The surface acquires a bewitching retroreflective effect, if quartz sand of the required fraction and metal pigments are added to the base. In fact, it turns out something like a paint for walls with a velvet effect, which has a shimmering and soft surface.
Helpful advice! The best result of applying paint is obtained in cases where both the base and the composition itself have room temperature.
Unusual effects of textured paint for walls
There are special types of paints that have an unusual design effect, creating exquisite textures on the surface. Paints for walls with the effect of silk or nacre look very impressive in the photo. This type of decoration fills the space of the room with light. This advantage is especially true for the winter and autumn periods when cloudy weather is behind the windows.
Depending on the type of lighting, as well as the viewing angle, a pearl or silk coating can change its shade. Thanks to this, the decoration received a second name – a chameleon. When using decorative paint for walls with a silk effect, there is a feeling that the surface has the appearance of a stretched silk canvas. This type of finish is characterized by a characteristic pearl shine, which is due to the presence of special pigment additives in the dye.
Experts also recommend buying pearlescent paint for walls to create the effect of wet silk. To do this, the mixture is applied using a brush having a rough pile, or roller. The technique involves the formation of random stains on the wall surface.
Granite dye, despite its name, does not include granite chips. Realistic imitation of texture is due to acrylic bubbles formed from paints of different shades. This type of dye is applied to the surface using a special tool – a spray gun. As a result, the bubbles burst, creating a beautiful texture.
Characteristic of decorative paint for walls with sand effect
Textured paint imitating a sandy surface is especially popular. The composition of such material may be different, it depends on the manufacturer.
Most often, manufacturers add particles to the composition of paint with a sand effect:
- silica sand;
In addition, the modern range allows you to purchase pearlescent and matte wall paints that mimic the surface of sand. In the first case, the paint contains reflective particles, in the second case, the coating is rough and velvety.
Note! Mother-of-pearl dye is environmentally friendly. The composition is made of acrylic resin and shiny pigment. The dye contains pearlescent grains of natural origin extracted from sea shells. Even if the wall is subjected to strong heating, harmful substances will not be released from the dye into the air.
Pearl textured paint is recommended for walls in rooms that are often used throughout the day. A shiny surface gives dynamics to the interior.
There are no additional additives in matt dye. This type of finish is best used in cases where you want to create walls with light sandy roughness. The matte surface transforms the interior, giving its shades softness and elegance. When the sun’s rays hit such walls, there is a slight diffusion of light. Due to this, the disadvantages of the substrate become invisible.
How to apply decorative paint for walls
To work with textured paint you will need a certain set of tools. Before starting work, it is worth taking care of the availability of:
- containers of suitable size (basin or bucket);
- construction mixer (you can use a drill with a special nozzle);
- a set of paint brushes of different sizes and with different stiffness of the pile;
- foam or natural sponge;
- spray gun;
- set of spatulas;
- paint rollers;
- rules (length 2-3 m);
- cellophane film and protective equipment (gloves, glasses, long-sleeved clothing, bandanas or caps).
Helpful advice! To get the original color of the walls, you can use a pneumatic sprayer. Filling the instrument with paint of the required color, you need to set the pressure at around 5 atmospheres and install a nozzle with a diameter of 0.3-0.5 cm on the device.
Creating a decorative finish with brushes, spatulas and rollers for painting walls
The texture depends not only on the dye itself, but also on the tool selected for its application. For these purposes, rollers, spatulas, brushes, combs and even improvised tools can be used:
- rigid wide brush – you can apply the material to the wall using vertical, cross, horizontal, wavy and other movements;
- comb – used for a more pronounced relief with a rare pattern. It is applied in the same way as a brush;
- spatula – with a sharp sharp brushstroke, a thin layer of dye is applied to the surface. The result should be an imitation of stone. This method is difficult to master immediately without skills;
- roller with a foam or fur sponge – used to obtain a uniform rough surface by rolling up and down the wall. The texture will depend on the structure of the sponge or the variety of its coat;
- figured roller – the tool has a relief surface with a protruding outward pattern, which is printed on fresh ink. So that the texture does not interrupt, it is desirable to process the wall section to the full height (from the floor to the ceiling);
- natural sponge, textiles or wrinkled paper – to work with these devices should use the technology of “trimming”. In other words, with the help of the material, the freshly painted surface is stamped;
- trowel – painting is obtained by applying the dye in two layers. To work with the first layer it is necessary to use a spatula, and with the second – a trowel. A day after the finish dries, the surface is covered with white enamel (matte) with a fur roller.
There are alternative methods of applying the texture: with your fingers (in rubber gloves), wrapping the roller with rags or a rope (the effect of bamboo stems), blows of a wet rag, etc.
The procedure for preliminary preparation of walls for painting
The preliminary preparation of the wall for applying the structural dye is as follows:
- The floor and ceiling must be covered with foil to avoid splashing and dirt on the surface. To fix the material, you can use tape.
- The wall is checked for vibration resistance, as this may result in shedding of the dye in the future.
- The old coating is removed from the wall and its surface is cleaned.
- A layer of plaster is applied in order to eliminate potholes and cracks.
- To improve the adhesive properties of the dye, the wall is covered with an acrylic primer. During operation, it is better to use a paint roller.
Important! The color of the primer should match the color of the dye. During operation, care must be taken to ensure that the material is evenly distributed.
After applying the primer, the wall needs to be allowed to dry. This takes at least 5 hours. The drying time depends on the level of humidity and temperature in the room.
Features of applying liquid decorative paint for walls in an apartment
Most often, in the work with liquid textured dyes, a paint brush or roller, a foam sponge are used, less often a spray gun (painting in one layer). You can wrap a cloth over the roller. First you need to mix the material in a jar and dip the chosen tool for application there. During operation, it is imperative to adhere to one technique so that the pattern is uniform and the same throughout the room, otherwise the result will not be aesthetic.
The dye is applied from top to bottom, so you can avoid streaks that spoil the appearance. A roller or brush is usually used to apply the first coat. After it dries, you can use a curly or ordinary roller for painting the wall and a dye of a different color. Use of a palm or fingers instead of an instrument is allowed. The result is an unusual effect.
It is recommended to start work from those areas where the room is poorly lit, furniture will stand or carpets will hang. If the hand is not already full, in these areas possible defects will be invisible. The last coat of dye should be applied in the direction of sunlight.
The technology of painting walls with decorative paint: the use of a dry composition
To work with dry dye, you need to take a container for diluting and mixing the composition. The best option would be a bucket with a capacity of 10-15 liters. After this, you need to open the bag with the dye and fill it with half the capacity. If the idea requires the introduction of fillers, then a quarter of its volume is poured into the bucket. Then the dye is diluted with water in the ratio indicated by the manufacturer on the package.
Be sure to thoroughly mix the composition. It is better to use a construction mixer for these purposes. Mixing the dye is carried out for 5-10 minutes In order not to move a heavy bucket throughout the room, you need to shift part of the finished mixture into another container. Its width should exceed the width of the spatula.
If a filler with particles larger than 2 mm has been added to the composition, the dye must be applied using an even spatula. To work with the mass, including quartz or ordinary sand as a filler, it is better to use a flat or serrated spatula. The recommended width of the teeth is 1-2 mm. If you use a tool with wider teeth, the pattern will turn out too rough.
Note! Recommended coverage area for one approach is 1-2 m². The initial hardening of the composition occurs within 10-15 minutes, after which it is already impossible to accurately correct the pattern.
- The tool draws a small amount of dye.
- With a smooth trowel, the composition is applied to the wall up and down in an area of 1 m².
- The dye is aligned using a wide spatula with horizontal movements.
- A putty knife with small teeth or another tool is applied.
For applying paint, you can use a narrow spatula (5-10 cm). The wall in this case is painted with chaotic inclined, vertical and horizontal movements.
Methods of decorating paint for interior wall decoration
For decorating walls painted with textured paint, you can use different techniques:
- stencil – patterns for work can be purchased in a specialized store or make it yourself. For this, sheet plastic, linoleum or a thick film are suitable;
- star dust – contrasting specks are applied in a different shade to the surface of the painted wall with a brush having hard bristles. To do this, squeeze out the excess paint, bend the pile away from the wall and release it;
- contrast – the combination of contrasting shades looks attractive. Color variation can be both on different walls, and on one (in the form of contrasting geometric shapes, for example, rhombuses, squares, etc.). To make the patterns even, it is recommended to use masking tape;
- aged surface – a dye of a contrasting shade is applied to the painted wall and worked through by repeated touches of the brush or sponge before the composition begins to dry.
At the last stage, the surface is covered with interior varnish, which will enhance the expressiveness of the pattern. The dye application methods do not end there. It all depends on the means at hand and imagination. The main thing is to observe safety precautions during work: use gloves, wear a hat and glasses to prevent the dye from getting into your eyes.
How to apply textured paint for walls